Friday 28 January 2011

Ten Years Later #1: Nirvana 'Nevermind'


Nirvana 'Nevermind'
DGC Records, 1991
Purchased 28/01/2001
Paid £2.00

It's fitting that I begin this series of blog pieces with a classic album, and an album that has shaped my musical listening habits of the past 10 years. I started buying music in earnest back in 2001; up until this point I had mostly copied cassettes off of my Dad or bought the odd singles from Woolworths on a Saturday morning, however I now had a paper round and could afford to buy myself some records. Nirvana was an obvious place for me to start. My Dad had a few of their albums which he had picked up through Britania music club in the mid-nineties, and the tracks from Nevermind which appeared on their posthumous live album From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah had already become favourites.

I already had a CDR copy of Nevermind but didn't feel that I was doing the band justice by having an illegal copy - even at 14 I was well on my way to becoming a music snob. I didn't really go shopping in the town centre very often so most singles I had bought at this point were from Wellington, where I tended to go each Saturday shopping with family. I actually found this album on a market stall in Wellington, and as it was in good condition I happily payed the £2 asking price to get myself a proper copy. At the time it was the only official Nirvana record I owned (I would buy In Utero a week later from Woolworths) - now it is one of many albums, singles and bootlegs I have by the group, a band who I consider to be a big part of my youth and inspired many of my early purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment