Sunday 15 January 2012

Lady Fortune at the Jagged Rock Lounge 14/01/2012

January is always a funny time of year for shows; everyone is still skint following Christmas excess, it's cold - it's easy to see why most will want to just curl up in front of the TV and forget the world outside. Tonight clearly that was the case, with only the dedicated few turning up to see what is a great line-up, and for me my first show of 2012.

It's been a long time since I've been to a show in this venue, just under 3 years by my calculations. Formally known as the Little Civic, it's now reopened under the somewhat questionable name of the Jagged Rock Lounge - but honestly it's great to see a venue I saw many of my favourites at back in the early 2000s reborn. Sadly the posters that lined the walls are gone (removed by previous owners Loose Lucies), but the room looks much bigger for it. My only concerns with the venue were it's stage lights, which seem to act only to blind concert-goers and make it difficult to make out who's on stage. That aside, on with the show.

First up this evening are Bad Apes who I am very fond of, having put them on at the first Distorted Tapes show back in November- and tonight I feel they played a much stronger set than that show. They aren't the easiest band to describe - there are moments when their experimental noise is reminiscent of the great Sonic Youth, whilst at other times elements of krautrock seem to creep in. The Wolverhampton three-piece manage to tick nearly all the boxes for what I think makes a great band: volume, tunes, originality. It's this last attribute that makes them stand out for me, and tonight the band show a different side to themselves with a new track midway through their set. Although currently a post-rockish instrumental, this song is effective in that it gives the listener an opportunity to hear each instrument, each players part, and building it up to a very solid and satisfying chorus. It's this ability that has made Mogwai such an exciting proposition over the last 15 years, and I hope to see this track develop next time I catch the band. Unfortunately, I felt the momentum the band had made during the first half of their set is lost after this point, however they do bring their set to a close with a cover of At the Drive-In's 'Arcarsenal,' which goes down nicely. Bad Apes are certainly ones to watch, and with time could become a formidable live band. 

Next on the bill are Cajole Cajole, now just a two-piece with brothers Ryan and Noel Malcolm complimented by a laptop. It's been a couple of years since I last saw Cajole - think last time it was when my old band played with them at The Enterprise in Camden. Anyway, Cajole Cajole Mk. II are a very different band, and whilst I really liked their previous incarnation, their new sound has a lot more depth to it - perhaps due to the additional flourishes that the laptop provides. Stylistically, their sound is reminiscent of early material by The Strokes, but overall vibe is a lot more glacial and sparse - think Movement-era New Order, or The Cure at their most atmospheric. Despite this it would be harsh to say they are 80s revivalists - if anything they have more in common with lo-fi US groups like Cold Cave (circa-Love Comes Close, not their latest full-length) or cult-favourites Blank Dogs, who have taken those post-punk influences and developed them into songs not only relevant, but very now. I spoke with the band afterwards, and Noel gives Ryan a great deal of credit for their current direction, but as far a I'm concerned it's just good to have them back on the scene, especially as what they're doing is so different to other indie bands currently on the local circuit. 


Lastly this evening are Lady Fortune, and as any regular readers of Distorted Tapes will be well aware I have a lot of love for these boys. As always, the band are on top form - every time I see them play they seem to be tighter, more powerful in their delivery. Musically, Lady Fortune can deliver the frenetic just as easily as they can the thoughtful, especially in their newer material. New track 'Nylon' (a video of which I  posted here) shows Fortune's impressive song writing ability, switching between a pensive first section into the heavier, more aggressive second half. Nick also demonstrates his strength as a lyricist, such as the exemplar "pass me the TV guide/'cus I've found a show that fails to hold the attention of you/and I know you've got remote control of the situation." It's great stuff, and begs to be sung-along. Why these guys have never made the big time is beyond me! Closing their set with 'Car Crash,' this track could easily be my favourite of theirs to-date, with a Pixies-esque, driving riff, and dark lyrics (by Fortune standards). Here's hoping a recorded version of this well emerge soon, because I really want to play it on repeat. Until then I'll keep spinning their current discs, which coincidently are now all available to stream on their bandcamp here.

All in all, a fantastic night, and three examples of local talent in a venue that has launched a thousand bands. Wolverhampton, you've been spoilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment